turning your orbit around

or... the utter enormity of the task

9.21.2004

open mic at the hog

well, i played my first open mic in steamboat springs last night at mahogany ridge, the local brewpub. it was scary as hell, but my little entourage (mom, dad, wife, & sister-in-law) was there to offer me support. it was also my first time playing out with my new guitar, an acoustic electric alvarez. it sounded sooooo much better than just putting a mic to the soundhole on my old guitar.

it was a 3 song set, and here's what i played:

denver rapid transit blues... by me
boss deejay... by sublime
not for the season... by jeff tweedy of wilco

here are the lyrics for my song:

sunday morning streets are empty
feels like so long since i've been me
i'm standing on a corner with a cigarette to my lips
i take a drag look around then i ash it from my hip

well the girl next to me she smells just like the streets
sweat grime and patchouli it's all so sick and sweet
she turns around and i see her jacket says "the clash"
i tell her joe strummer just died and she tells me to kiss her ass

like my man mca i sit and dream myself away
as i ride on the bus into the city every day
i can barely see through the windows because of all the grime
i'm looking at my shoes, counting my blues, as the sun refuses to shine

well i'm waiting on the bus to take it back home again
my stop's full of pushers, homeless men and mexicans
the kid says, "what's up, ese, you wanna buy some weed?"
i say no thanks man i got plenty thanks to my man craig dooley

cold beer on top of my amp
i'm in my bedroom and it's feeling kind of cramped
i'm trying to work out this last guitar part
but my fingers are too heavy and they won't listen to my heart


the song is about one of many exciting days riding the bus to and from work in denver, and it's all true. except for the part about smoking. cigarettes is nasty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site 
Meter