turning your orbit around

or... the utter enormity of the task

10.25.2004

warning: a quick turn of phrase may be hazardous to your health

a study came out earlier this year that looked at the deaths of almost 2,000 writers around the world and through time. of poets, playwrights, novelists and non-fiction writers, poets lived the shortest and non-fiction writers the longest.

now, i fancy myself a poet, though a personal one. i write poetry, i share it with a select few friends (and the entire world, i guess, if i post it to here), and it just makes me feel better to know that i have a book or computer full of work that documents my life. for me.

but that all may change now. if i can tack on an extra 6 years to my life by writing some shitty essays, well hell! sign me up. or have i already corrected the situation by posting to this blog? does that mean my blog is full of shitty essays? does that mean i should change the blog title to "turning your orbit around... or, shitty essays"? and my anxious thoughts spin off exponentially.

on another note, my library conference in denver was quite fun. good workshops, a little bit of networking, and some interesting products on the horizon to look forward to. the best part of the weekend? catching "garden state" at the mayan on broadway. what a great movie - an odd, goofball, sweet and sad look at the detachment, love, listlessness, and inspiration that makes up modern life. beautiful.

i love denver. and i miss it some. but driving home, upward, into the mountains, i left denver behind and i was glad to get back here. to steamboat. to my wife, my dogs, my job. to our new life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site 
Meter