turning your orbit around

or... the utter enormity of the task

4.06.2005

geno's white tanks meditation

my father has been a writer/editor of accounting textbooks for as long as i can remember. but underneath that number-crunching exterior is a poet's heart.

when i was down in AZ for spring break, we went on a hike in the white tanks mountains west of the valley. because of all the moisture they've had down there this winter and spring, the wildflowers were just a riot. absolutely stunning.

it was a wonderful hike - incredible scenery, perfect temperature, lively discussion - everything a walk in the mountains should be. it inspired him to write a poem, and with his permission i've included it below.

Granite Stones

I have felt the magic
Of the mountains and the wind
My prayers would be answered
If I could feel it once again

Let me rest in the arms of Mother Nature
Let me lie beneath a cairn of granite stones
Let the wildflowers grow
All around my resting place
And let the gentle mountain breezes
Lift my spirit home

The old men of the desert
Raise their arms towards the sky
Birds of prey play on the wind
And circle up so high

Let me rest in the arms of Mother Nature
Let me lie beneath a cairn of granite stones
Let the wildflowers grow
All around my resting place
And let the gentle mountain breezes
Lift my spirit home

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to your father for the wonderful and inspiring poem. Is there a new song in your future? Maybe Big Pants will need a female singer someday (Becca?). Keep up the good work and continue to enjoy yourself. It's a pleasure regularly reading your blog. Please pass along my hellos to Jen and your parents... Dennis Potten

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site 
Meter